Friday, February 18, 2011

Another New Beginning


I love reading, but I never get to read as much as I’d like to. Over the last few years, since finishing school, I’ve just not had the time, energy or willpower to churn through books like I did back in my school days. (Oh god, am I really old enough to use that phrase?)

The other thing I love is Popular Penguins. They have such a magnificent array of titles, and not of them all ‘classics’, and plenty of them I’ve yet to devour. And they’re AFFORDABLE.

At the moment, my job sucks. Sure, I’m in a radio station, but there’s something about doing the accounts that just KILLS MY SOUL. Oh, and did I mention I’m still in Dubbo?

So at the moment, my only escapes are my weekend trips to Bathurst (which will cease soon anyway) and reading. I’m currently in the middle of The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (about 120 pages to go, and I can't wait to get to the mystery's resolution!), having finished my re-reading of The Shadow of the Wind last week, but once that’s finished, I’m lost as to what my next read will be.

For this reason, and also because I’m not writing as much as I should, I thought I would go through ALL the titles on the Popular Penguins list, reading and reviewing each one, posting the results on this new blog.

I have no idea how long this will take, or if I will stick with it long enough for it to be worthwhile. I don’t even know how much money I’ll spend in the process. (Due to my wanting to save money, I will be borrowing from my local library when I can, unless Penguin Publishing wants to sponsor me!) There will be no time restraints and there will be no holding back on what I think. And there will be NO leaving a book unfinished.

I have already printed off the list of Popular Penguins in print at this point in time. There are 174 titles to work through, some authors I’m really looking forward to (Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Charles Dickens, Nick Hornby, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and some I’m really dreading (Jane Austen, Sigmund Freud, Virginia Woolf, Mary Shelley, Donald Horne) but all will be read as reflections of their era and tales worth telling. In return, I will give my honest opinion of the book, and whether I would read it again, or if you’ll find it on eBay next Thursday.

It will be a celebration of reading, writing and personal opinion, all at a decent price.

Now bugger off! I’ve got a book to read.

- Noni Doll


The 35-page document that I’ll be working off, complete with all the titles and synopsises. Wish me luck!