Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Perfectly Pretty Penguins!

So, I'm not sure if we've discussed this, but it's not just the contents of Popular Penguins I have a certain amount of affection for (okay, for MOST of them). I also have a real soft spot for the design of the jackets.

The orange and white are so crisp and recognisable, they truly are a fantastic example of branding. A simple design that gets the point across: this is a book at a value price, from a trusted publishing brand.

And it seems I'm not the only one who appreciates this simple, yet remarkably effective design.

I was directed by the lovely ProfessorFunk to a post on Maria Popova's Brainpickings blog. (Which is regularly updated with some magnificent reads, and you should definitely check it out!) It was about this time that I was debating whether or not to embark on this project, and the fact that someone had dedicated an entire book to the design of Penguin's range from 1935 to 2005 really cemented the importance of the brand, and therefore the project, for me.

Here's a few photos from the book, and be sure to check out the original article from Brainpickings too.










Absolutely marvellous, don't you think?

x ND