Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - The Wrap Up

Wow, that took a lot longer than it should have.

So, I’ve finally finished Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’. Well, to be exact, I’ve finished it twice.

Due to assignments, getting a new job, moving to Canberra, finding somewhere to live etc, I really didn’t have much time for reading, not even a tiny book of only 130 or so pages. So, Alice got took a little longer than she should have to get herself back out of the rabbit hole.

I think she might be stuck.

I finished the book yesterday, on the way to work, so by the time lunch rolled around, I didn’t have anything to occupy my brain. So I read it again. I got through half of it by 2pm yesterday, and finished the rest of it at lunchtime today, along the lines of the original expected time I thought I was going to take to read it. So, I guess I know it doubly well now!

The first thing you have to know when reading this is that there will be giant holes where you think certain character plotlines should be. Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee are nowhere to be seen; the talking flowers don’t get a mention, and while the Cheshire Cat does appear a number of times in the book, it’s not nearly as regular as you might think. There is, however, a baby that turns into a pig, which always wins points in my opinion. (It’s like some kind of bizarre infant Animorph!)

MISSING: one irritating set of twins.

It was a bit of light-hearted fun though, and a good quick read, perfect for that little bit of time between the first and second half of work. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a quick read that doesn’t require too much brain power (trust me, it’s a thousand times better, and more fun, than any women’s magazine. Doctors should keep a copy in their offices for bored patients), and definitely as a bedtime story if you have little chidlins looking for some night-time giggles.

While I think you get away with just borrowing any of the other Popular Penguins I’ve read so far, this is one you really have to own. It’s just perfect for a rainy day: there’s no long term commitment, it’s light-hearted and it’s the perfect opportunity to remember what it’s like to be a child.

And that’s a feeling that too many of us choose to forget.